Thursday, June 20, 2024

New game: "Papers, Please" playthrough

New game!

I've finally started a playthrough of Lucas Pope's Papers, Please! and I'm 1 hour into it! I already loved the guy after playing Return of the Obra Dinn, and I've had this other game in my library for a while but it was Cressup's recent interview with the man that finally pushed me into trying it out.

A neighbor of Krakozhia?

You play as a border controller for the communist state of Arstotzka. Everybody who wants in, has to pass your checkpoint. Each day, you get new instructions on who is allowed in or not. You need to check documents, find discrepancies, interrogate people, allow them in or deny them access with big green and red stamps. You get paid for the amount of people you see, and you need that money to pay for rent, food, heat and medicine for yourself and your family members.  

To deny or to approve, that's the question...
I'm 1 hour into the game, but I must admit I restarted after day 5 because my son died. IN THE GAME I MEAN!!! Not my own son! Jesus... Okay, so he died, but I didn't see it coming, because I interpreted the end-of-day money management system wrong and I thought I had to click the stuff I wanted to buy. Turns out, clicking them makes you NOT buy them, so my house was freezing, everybody was hungry and nobody got cured.

Everybody is OK, so let's save up a little...

So yeah, my bad...

Anyways, I'm playing the game trying to follow all the rules. Oh, and it's so much fun denying people entry! It's actually quite addictive checking their documents for discrepancies. There are also so many elements that can be forged, or that don't fit that day's rules of admission. You're also working against the clock: you want to check as many people as you can so you can earn money, but you don't want to work too fast and miss something.

No comments:

Post a Comment