Thursday, March 28, 2024

Finished Scott Whiskers: The Search for Mr. Fumbleclaw in 10 hours!

It takes a long time for someone to show up here...

Even though it has its flaws, I did enjoy playing through it. I kinda rolled into it the further I got, it's fun doing all the quests. The art style might not have always been my thing, but there are some good scenes as well. I often stumbled upon what I call chronology errors in the dialogue options; to give an example, it's sometimes possible to ask a character something with dialogue option #4 first, which then contains information Scott only acquires by asking dialogue option #2, so which should be impossible chronologically speaking. But even if that part of the conditional programming could have have used a bit more work, all the different storylines still pulled me in and made me want to complete them. 

Now these are very transparant living arrangements...
The final chapter wasn’t that long but still well designed. I finally met the owner of the back alley business that was always deserted for most of the game, and finally a connection with the first NPC you meet in the game. Turns out I actually found Mr. Fumbleclaw pretty early on at the start of the third and last chapter, but then my objective changed a bit, which led to a couple more good puzzles. What I really enjoyed in this game is that you can take a Polaroid photo of all NPC’s; they’re actually the Steam Achievements! Sadly enough I figured out pretty late how I had to recharge the camera, and by then one of the NPC’s was no longer available, so I didn’t get 100% achievement!

There's something hidden here and it's not what you think...
There was a funny section where you listen to an NPC who is playing through the original Police Quest off-screen, though some people might find it a bit long-winded, but then again I never watch videos or streams of people playing games myself so that might be my reason for thinking so (I tried making playthrough videos once but they weren’t very popular it seems so I stopped doing that, lol!)

Mission accomplished!

Overall, it was a fun game but perhaps a different kind of funny. I didn't think it was as "laugh out loud" funny, it's not that "in your face", it's more "silly" funny. Should I compare it to Lucasarts Games, it's no Sam & Max or Day of the Tentacle, but more Monkey Island and Indiana Jones. A more serious premise but still including humor. I think the dev and I look at puzzle designs in very similar ways. I see the obstacle, I imagine a possible solution, so then when I eventually find what I need I just need to take it back to the obstacle. Even the instance where Scott mentions "moon logic" was pretty obvious for me.

I'm certainly looking forward to see what this developer does next!

No comments:

Post a Comment