Wednesday, July 27, 2022

Finished "The Hand of Glory", and now it's on to "Roots in the Sky"!

I feel better about the way my own car looks now...
Finished The Hand of Glory in 14,5 hours, which is pretty extensive for adventure games these days. It's proven to be quite a long game but without giving you the feeling it's a long game. I was loving it more and more, but there was one minor aspect getting on my nerves: when you're trying to use something in your inventory, and you want to put it back by right-clicking, if you happen to be hovering over a hotspot, Lars will give his description of that hotspot again.

Creepy place, I feel like Indiana Jones and Venice...
The final couple of scenes were over pretty fast. There was a weird spiritual/supernatural scene near the end which I didn't fully grasp, I didn't really have to take action myself mostly, I just had to let it play out. I also lost count of the amount of times I died in this game, but luckily you respawn right before the penultimate moment so you can try to react in the correct fashion again. Sometimes annoying if you have no clue what you're supposed to do, and you only have time to try one thing before you die.
 
Nothing as elaborate as Le Serpent Rouge, but still fun...

I enjoyed how it seemed to try to "copy" some elements from the third Gabriel Knight game, especially Le Serpent Rouge en Sidney. They're not very elaborate parts of this game so I think it's more as little references or homages, but still very fun to do.

Nothing as elaborate as using Sidney, but still fun...
The puzzles are very intuitive, and I kept expecting a new problem to arise right after I found a particular solution. Nothing is easy in this game and will usually take a couple of steps. But because of the limited locations and hotspots (though I did gather quite a few locations on the Italian map) and a good recollection of where you can find what or who, it doesn't take long to figure it all out.

Okay, Alice, hand me that red brick over there, time to draw some voodoo symbols on this crypt!
The Hand of Glory really delivered and it's almost sad to think I waited so long to play this, and even let it pass several times. I'm glad someone mentioned it was worth it and I just had to look past the character design. It's a great story.

Oh, Alice, I'll miss you... Good thing I was able to play with you more...
Now I'm really curious to see what the next game, Roots in the Sky will be like! It'll be released on August 26th, but I received an advanced backer's copy so this is the game I'll be playing next! 

You can find the The Hand of Glory on Steam and on itch.io!

And you can wishlist the second game, Roots in the Sky, on Steam as well!









No comments:

Post a Comment