 |
| So posh... |
What kind of freaky Jordan Peele movie is
The Incident at Galley House turning out to be?!
After playing through the first three hours, I slowly started to realise what was going on in this story. I was able to figure out most scenes fairly easily. Sometimes there was some guesswork and trial and error involved, though never so much as to become frustrating. I'm absolutely loving this game, and it has a good chance to stealing the #2 spot in this year's top ten.
 |
| Not as complicated as it looks... |
Yet there are some things that bother me. The backgrounds, the actual rooms of Galley House, and the character avatars as well, are too static. You hear these people opening doors, rummaging through drawers, moving furniture, handling items... However, you never actually see any of that interaction. The characters just stand there and pop up in different places in the rooms a bit. Also, whenever they sit or lie down, the avatars you chose for them turn back into empty silhouettes, with a little picture of their face in a kind of thought balloon hovering above them. Even when they die, they just keep standing there seemingly without a worry in the world while every one else freaks out. I guess it was too much to have all those different positions for all the possible avatars drawn up.
 |
| Vworp-vworp-vworp... |
While there's no rewarding jingle when you get a series of deductions right, as was the case in similar games like
Obra Dinn and
Roottrees, the reward here is the distortion effect, transporting you to a scene in the past. whenever you get a coordinate correct. That always felt so good after a series of error buzzes from the machine each time you try a combination.
 |
| Lots of bedrooms in this house... |
I finished the game in a little under 11 hours. But I can't really write a playthrough post without spoiling too much. So I won't and leave it at saying that I thought I would be done after about 9 hours, only for the game to still have some surprises left! Now I'm sad it's over, and - same as with
Obra Dinn - I wish the developers would make a new game, a new story, with this same gameplay mechanic because it was so much fun!
You can find the
The Incident at Galley House on
Steam and on
itch.io!
No comments:
Post a Comment