Monday, September 9, 2024

Classic time: "King's Quest V" playthrough

New game!
I've started playing King's Quest V and I'm 1 hour into it!

This is actually the second time in my life I started playing this game. Last time, some years ago, I died not half an hour into it, simply by visiting a bar. I so wasn't into random deaths at the time, so no idea what I was doing playing a Sierra game, but I've matured since then so it's about time I give this classic point 'n click adventure another chance.

Now where to go first...

I'm King Graham, and the evil wizard Mordack has just run off with my castle. Cedric the Owl witnessed it all, and he takes me to the good wizard Crispin, who hands me his old wand and sends me on my way. Cedric tells me best to go into town first to get some supplies. All this is told in an 11 minute intro cutscene. Which is pretty long for today's standards, but I guess back in the day everyone was in awe of the beautiful backgrounds. They're still beautiful, but 11 minutes before you actually get to play?! Thankfully, you can skip that intro if you so wish...

Not the first enchanted tree I met in a Sierra game...

This first hour I've mainly been exploring. I met an enchanted willow tree in need of  a golden heart to undo the spell. I saved some ants from a dog and some bees from a bear. I bought a custard pie from the local baker. Met a prince searching for his princess. There's a cloak in a shop I'm guessing I'll need to buy somehow. And there's a snake blocking the path into the mountains.

Quaint little town...

There's also a dark forest with a foreboding sign at the entrance. That's where I'll explore next. Not sure if that's a good idea yet, but I've already got 10 saved games. I learned my lesson when I died 24 minutes in when Graham fell into a river...

Sigh...

 (Okay, I admit it, I did that on purpose...)

No comments:

Post a Comment