Wednesday, June 7, 2023

Finished "Crowns and Pawns: Kingdom of Deceit" in 7 hours!

This background has some pretty groovy crowd movements.
I'm actually surprised I already finished it, because I was expecting a bit more puzzling in the end... So last time I travelled to Belarus to hijack a hockey game. After that I travelled to Italy for a plot twist. I finally got my hands on the second key after a Full Throttle style action sequence. Then I went back to Vilnius to finally gain access to the location of the last key - turns out I could've spent hours trying to get in there earlier in the game and it would never have worked.

Told you. So where are the Polecats when you need them...
After a little bit of comparing notes, which in my opinion is very underused in this game, I found my way to the finale. First I had to traverse a cave system in pretty much the same way one particular pirate wannabe finds his way in one particular island forest. Then what looked like the puzzle of all puzzles welcomed me at the final showdown, only... I didn't have to do anything. I got some kind of Indy and Elsa, Gabriel and Malia moment but that was it. I assume it has to do with the profession I chose at the start of the game (the photographer) and that this choice influences the puzzles you get. Perhaps one of the other professions really does have to do more in this finale, I don't know. I hope so, otherwise, that entire room seems like too much needless work from the art department.

How come there are never any secrets to dig up in the churches I visit for real?!
Anyway, I did enjoy this game very much. There were some tricky puzzles, not that traditional, but nothing all too hard. The only thing that really set me back somewhat was one small instance of pixel hunting. I had to look up where exactly to find one particular item I needed. Turns out it was in plain sight, I just didn't see it and Milda hadn't made a comment about it before. In my view you could only be led there by an assumption. All the regular puzzles were pretty much on the light side, and the game ended too sudden in my view, but it was very funny and certainly enjoyable! And who knows, some day I might play it again, choosing a different profession that time... 

In any case, now the wait can begin for the further development and release of the sequel, which I hope will be an adventure of the same quality, but perhaps a bit longer. I for one have already wishlisted Crowns and Pawns: Amber Road!

You can find Kingdom of Deceit on Steam and on GOG!

And you can find the upcoming sequel Amber Road on Steam and GOG as well!







No comments:

Post a Comment